Thursday, January 19, 2017

Book Review: Cabin Love by Hayden Hunt

I've given up on love.

Well, there it is, another failed relationship. And right before Christmas time, too. After breaking up with my boyfriend, the only thing I want to do is get out of town and have some time to myself. Thankfully, my best friend Jake has a cabin that I can go to for the weekend.

Except that Jake forgot that the cabin already has been booked for the weekend. So I'm pretty surprised when I go up there and find Chris relaxing in the cabin. And I drove four hours to get here! Thankfully, Chris is nice enough to let me stay the night so I don't have to drive home in bad weather.

But when I wake up the next morning and we're completely snowed in, one night together turns into the entire weekend and we get to know each other a lot better than I originally intended. And it doesn't take long for me to realize I'm crushing on him hard.

This isn't the vacation I planned for.

Honestly, I was happy when James came up to the cabin unexpectedly. I'd been having a pretty boring vacation and somebody else around definitely kept things more interesting.

Of course, I wasn't expecting us to get snowed in together. But if you have to be locked in a cabin with another person, this is the guy to do with it. He's smart, funny, warm, and very cute. He seems a little hesitant to admit he likes me too, but that won't stop me from pursuing something with him.

I have the feeling that this is the start to something more. I know it's soon, but he really seems like the guy for me.


This wasn't the best read for me and I didn't feel there was much depth to this short story. I wasn't connected to the characters, and what I did know about them dissuaded me from wanting to know them further. Much of the book is spent in the main characters' heads as they come to terms with their feelings for one another. They do talk, but readers are in the MCs' heads so much that when they finally sit down to communicate, I just didn't care anymore. The antagonists (James' ex and James' parents) came off as horribly despicable caricatures whose only purpose was to show just how terrible James' life is. Unfortunately, editing issues plagued the book and served as a huge distraction.


Overall, this was an okay story, but certainly not a favorite from this author.



I received a copy of this book from the author and voluntarily provided my honest review.

Buy Link

Amazon

~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment