Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I ❤ Yaoi: Junjou Romantica (Pure Romance) by Shungiku Nakamura

I first discovered Junjou Romantica while perusing DVDs one random weekend. The anime section just happened to be right across for the horror section (where I was looking for something new and cool to watch), and when I turned around to leave, I saw an anime box set that had two men on the cover. Curious, I picked it up and read the description.
Three very different couples caught up in a storm of pure romance! The Junjo Romantica DVD Collection includes the series' complete 12-episode first season. Romantica: Misaki is struggling to prepare for his college entrance exams, so his brother arranges for a private tutor. But Misaki's nightmare is just beginning when his tutor, Usami, comes on to him! How will Misaki ever manage to pass his exam? And why does he feel so mysteriously drawn to Usami? Egoist: Just when Kamijou's life is at its lowest, he has a chance meeting with a man who never lets anything hold him back: Nowaki. His name means ''typhoon,'' and he's about to take Kamijou on a whirlwind ride that will turn everything upside-down. Terrorist: Miyagi always seems to shrug off the cares of the world with a joke and a smile. But even he has problems, although he doesn't let them show. Foremost is Shinobu, a relentless young man who's adamant that they're destined to be together.
Well, since I'm a slash fan, I thought this would be right up on alley! I didn't purchase the DVD box set, but I definitely went home and sought out the manga online. Over the next couple of weeks, I devoured the numerous volumes of the manga and really enjoyed it. This was my very first yaoi manga ever, so I had to get used to the characterizations of the seme/uke relationship. Occasionally I felt a little uncomfortable because it seemed like quite a few of the sexual situations were dub-con, but I soon learned that sort of depiction comes with the yaoi manga territory.

I think my favorite couple in the series is Nowaki Kusama and Hiroki Kamijou. Nowaki is so calm and kindhearted and really balances Hiroki, who tends to be hotheaded and prideful. Of course Misaki Takahashi and Akihiko Usami, who I view as the main couple of the series are a fun pair to watch.

Definitely check out this cute yoai series! It's great for yaoi beginners and veterans alike!

~ M


No comments:

Post a Comment